Tag Archive | "mma"

Kimbo Slice’s Son To Follow Father’s Footsteps, Making MMA Debut At Bellator

Kimbo Slice’s Son To Follow Father’s Footsteps, Making MMA Debut At Bellator

kimbo slice and son

Kimbo Slice may have already passed, but his spirit will live on as his son, Kevin Ferguson Jr., joins Bellator.

Dubbed “Baby Slice,” the 24-year-old has already signed and set to debut in the cage at Bellator 160: Henderson vs. Pitbull on August 26. Although his opponent has yet to be picked, he was already signed to the MMA promotion before his father tragically died of congestive heart failure last June 6.

Ferguson Jr. has been training MMA for the past two years and had his first amateur fight in March, when he knocked out his opponent within 84 seconds. The bets are on for his upcoming first professional fight.

“I was always around the fight business and everything, so I saw it and I understood what was going on,” Ferguson told the Associated Press. “I just knew without a doubt that one day, this was what I wanted to do.”

As for how he’s dealing with the loss, Ferguson Jr. told reporters, “I won’t say I adjusted well or it didn’t bother me, but I was talking to him a few days before, so I understood what was going on.”

It was more of a shock to the world, put it like that. It was still a very big tragedy, but I got through it. I’m still getting through it. I won’t say I’m over it, but I’m working on it, I guess.”

Are you looking forward to seeing if Baby Slice is anything like his father in the cage?

Photo via Bellator

Posted in MMAComments (0)

Kimbo Slice Dies At 42

Kimbo Slice Dies At 42

kimbo slice

Professional mixed martial artist Kimbo Slice died on Monday, according to a shocking report by Bellattor MMA.

The 6-foot heavyweight, whose real name is Kevin Ferguson, had been admitted to a hospital in Margate, Florida earlier that day for undisclosed reasons, according to a Coral Springs police who had been sent to the MMA artist’s home to prevent fans and paparazzi from gathering outside.

“We lost our brother today,” Slice’s longtime manager, Mike Imber, said in a text message to The Associated Press.

 

“We are all shocked and saddened by the devastating and untimely loss of Kimbo Slice, a beloved member of the Bellator family,” Bellator president Scott Coker also said in a statement about Slice, whom he described as “a charismatic, larger-than-life personality that transcended the sport.”

“Outside of the cage he was a friendly, gentle giant and a devoted family man. His loss leaves us all with extremely heavy hearts, and our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Ferguson family and all of Kimbo’s friends, fans, and teammates,” Coker added.

Slice, who previously fought for the UFC, was scheduled to headline Bellator 158 in London on July 16 against James Thompson. He had a 5-2 professional record with four TKOs.

He was 42.

Photo via Video Screen Grab

Posted in MMAComments (0)

Ronda Rousey Knocked Out By Holly Holm In First Career Loss

Ronda Rousey Knocked Out By Holly Holm In First Career Loss

In the most shocking UFC news this week, Ronda Rousey seems to have met her true match in American Holly Holm, who knocked her out on Sunday’s match in Melbourne and took away her UFC bantamweight championship belt.

Their physical rivalry kicked off during the weigh-ins earlier this week, with them almost scrambling to fight after Holm held a fist against Rousey’s face during the photo op. And during their match at the Etihad Stadium, it came to a shocking end early in the second round when Holm used her infamous left kick knockout to wipe out the defending champion. It’s currently being described as the “greatest upset in UFC history.”

The “bummed out and depressed” Rousey suffered a split lip and was immediately transported to the hospital after the knock out—her first loss in her entire career. Holm, meanwhile, became the first ever fighter to claim both a world boxing and UFC title.

Holm says she welcomes the idea of a rematch. “I have been on the losing side of a fight and wanted to avenge my loss. So for a champion like Ronda, who has gone out of her way to do great things, absolutely, she deserves a rematch,” the 34-year-old champion says. “I don’t look at this fight and think I’ve made it. I think I’ve still got some things to do.”

Watch the knock out below:


What did you think of the thrilling Holm-Rousey fight?

Photo via UFC / Video Screenshot

Posted in More Sports, Scoop on AthletesComments (0)

Floyd Mayweather: Ronda Rousey Makes Boxing “Look Bad” With Ring Magazine Cover

Floyd Mayweather: Ronda Rousey Makes Boxing “Look Bad” With Ring Magazine Cover

ronda-rousey-the-ring

With Ronda Rousey’s current fame status, she’s quickly gaining herself millions of fans… and critics. One of the latter just happens to include someone famous too, none other than the notorious Floyd Mayweather Jr. himself.

You may have seen the female UFC bantamweight champion on the newest cover of Ring magazine, which is really just one of the features that she’s done in the past few months. It hails her as the first ever MMA fighter to grace the cover of the “Bible of Boxing” for 93 years.

ronda-rousey-the-ring-100-first-woman-cover-ld

Given the magazine’s focus on boxing, many boxing fans reacted negatively because of the fact that Rousey is not even a boxer (although she is facing boxer-turned-MMA fighter Holly Holm in her next fight). The recently retired pound-for-pound king also took notice—and he didn’t like it, either.

“Well, you know, congratulations, but you know the sport is starting to look bad when a female fighter from a whole other sport is on the cover of a boxing book,” Mayweather said in an interview with FightHype.

This is only the latest word clash between the two, after being at odds with each other since Mayweather suggested that she “didn’t know who he is” when asked about the UFC’s first and only women’s bantamweight champion.

Photo via Ring Magazine

Posted in More Sports, Scoop on AthletesComments (0)

Wanderlei Silva On Fighting Chael Sonnen: “Come Get It”

Wanderlei Silva On Fighting Chael Sonnen: “Come Get It”

matt-serra-silva

Both Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen may be retired from mixed martial arts competitions, but it’s possible that the two MMA stars may not be backing out when it comes to facing each other in the right.

Or, at least, Silva won’t.

While posing as a guest commentator at the XFC International 7 event in Sao Paolo, Brazil on Saturday, Silva was asked by XFC president Myron Molotky whether or not he would return to fight Sonnen.

“Are you ready to do this? Let’s do this,” Molotky asked (according to MMAFighting.com), to which the MMA fighter proudly responded, “If (Sonnen) accepts the fight, why not? I’d do it. Why not? I’m here. Come get it.”

It’s pretty odd considering he sufficiently trash talked the UFC after his retirement and swore he’d never fight for another promotion again, following the evasion of a drug test in Nevada and a lifetime ban. As for Sonnen, he had to give up MMA, as well as his FOX broadcasting job, after testing positive for drugs twice.

If the two were to settle things in the ring, they will have to do it without an overseeing sanctioning body due to their current suspensions and one place where they can have it is reportedly in Brazil.

At this point, Silva has nothing to lose. The question is, would Sonnen risk the possibility of other prospects hiring him just to face Silva?

Photo by

Posted in More Sports, Scoop on AthletesComments (0)





-->