Tag Archive | "Boxing"

HBO No Longer Covering Manny Pacquiao Fights

HBO No Longer Covering Manny Pacquiao Fights

manny pacquiao bradley post-fight press conference

Just a couple of months after he announced his retirement, Filipino Boxing Superstar Manny Pacquiao recently announced that he will be returning to the ring to take on Jessie Vargas. Now, latest sports news reports that HBO would not be covering the event.

The said match will be happening on November 5, and unlike his previous match announcements, this one did not really excite and light up the whole world even though he is facing a unheralded opponent. The real surprise was when HBO announced that they will not be the one to distribute the PPV rights of the event which was confirmed by none other than, Bob Arum.

“Definitely it’s not going to be HBO. HBO had a contract and decided to pass because it was two weeks in front of their Ward-Kovalev fight,” Arum said.

With this move, HBO is officially relinquishing the rest of their rights to Pacman’s fights. It is interesting that they are walking away from it as this will mean that possible money-making rematches, such as one with with Mayweather, will not be automatically aired on the channel.

According to Arum, now that HBO is out, other channels are now on the table to compete for airing rights, such as ESPN, a Turner network, and even Showtime.

“I haven’t spoken to them (Showtime). But there would be no impediment to that. When I get back next week, Stephen (Espinoza) will be one of the guys I’m calling,” he said.

Photo via

Posted in BoxingComments (0)

Showtime Sues Manny Pacquiao’s Promoter Over Mayweather Fight

Showtime Sues Manny Pacquiao’s Promoter Over Mayweather Fight

Pacquiao and Mayweather

A little over a year after Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather’s championship blockbuster in Las Vegas, Showtime Networks  Inc. is suing the boxing promoter Top Rank Inc.

In the suit filed in federal court in New York on Wednesday, Showtime claims that Pacman’s promoter was contractually obligated “to defend and indemnify” Showtime, but allegedly failed to in the events after it was widely revealed that Pacquiao had failed to disclose the fact that he had injured his shoulder prior to the fight.

Showtime then complains that they had been named in numerous post-fight lawsuits and had to pay legal fees, despite Top Rank’s alleged obligation to indemnify and defend them.

Showtime alleges breach of contract and other counts, and is also asking for a declaration that Top Rank was obligated to indemnify them.

Photo by ImageCollect

Posted in BoxingComments (0)

Mayweather On Fighting McGregor: They’re Not Just Rumors

Mayweather On Fighting McGregor: They’re Not Just Rumors

mayweather vs mcgregor poster

Floyd Mayweather Jr. may be retired now, but he may not be for long. It turns out the American boxing kingpin was the one who started rumors of a potential fight against current UFC featherweight champion, Conor McGregor.

“It’s possible,” Mayweather told reporters over the weekend. “It was a name that was shot at me. The rumors that y’all been hearing is the rumors that I started. It may not be a rumor. Keep y’all fingers crossed. It may be a boxer versus an MMA fighter.”

Mayweather hasn’t been in the ring since he “retired” for the third time last September, after defeating Andre Berto. Being undefeated in a total of 49 fights, Mayweather claims he can definitely rake in more than $100 million if he were to fight again.

McGregor, on the other hand, was thought to be retiring after hinting at it on Twitter, but reveals he’s simply “ready to go for UFC 200” on July 9. It seems he’s also very interested in fighting Mayweather, after also fueling speculation of a potential fight by tweeting a promotional poster of them (as seen above).

Photo via Conor McGregor’s Twitter

Posted in BoxingComments (0)

Manny Pacquiao Announces Retirement After Bradley Win

manny pacquiao bradley post-fight press conference

Manny Pacquiao’s retirement has long been speculated, but no one wanted to believe it until he finally said it.

After winning against Timothy Bradley Jr. in Las Vegas over the weekend with a 12-round unanimous decision and a score of 116-110 on all three judges’ cards, the 37-year-old boxing champ announced that it was going to be his last fight.

A good way to go, in our opinion, because there was no way that he was going out a loser.

 

“Yes, I am now retired (from boxing),” Pacquiao announced during the post-fight press conference. “I am going to go home and spend time with my family and serve my people.”

Meanwhile, he had nothing but good words about his last opponent. “[Bradley]’s a very tough fighter. He’s a tough counterpuncher. (Trainer) Teddy Atlas made a difference because this was the best Tim Bradley that I have faced.”

Pacquiao, who is a two-term congressman in the province of Sarangani, will be flying back to his homeland this coming weekend to continue his campaign efforts in winning a seat in the Philippine senate next month.

With an impressive record of 58-6-2, we believe Pacquiao can still fight—especially if it’s going to be against Mayweather. Do you agree?

Photo via Video Screen Grab

Posted in BoxingComments (0)

Ronda Rousey: I’m Still “Really” F**king Sad” About Loss To Holly Holm

Ronda Rousey: I’m Still “Really” F**king Sad” About Loss To Holly Holm

holm-rousey match aftermath

Ronda Rousey is still pretty bummed about her tragic loss to Holly Holm last November 15. In fact, in an ambush street interview with ESPN (via People), she’s “really f**king sad” because she’s still pretty messed up from the beating.

You may remember that she was sent to the hospital right after the fight for surgery for her busted lip. And as of today, her teeth are still unstable from all the punches and nudges that Holm gave her straight to the mouth.

Ronda added, “It might be three to six months before I can eat an apple, let alone take an impact.”

Not to worry. UFC’s Dana White says Ronda will return to the octagon as soon as she’s healed and will definitely try to avenge her loss by rematching with Holm.

Photo via Video Screen Grab

Posted in More Sports, Scoop on AthletesComments (0)

Floyd Mayweather: Ronda Rousey Makes Boxing “Look Bad” With Ring Magazine Cover

Floyd Mayweather: Ronda Rousey Makes Boxing “Look Bad” With Ring Magazine Cover

ronda-rousey-the-ring

With Ronda Rousey’s current fame status, she’s quickly gaining herself millions of fans… and critics. One of the latter just happens to include someone famous too, none other than the notorious Floyd Mayweather Jr. himself.

You may have seen the female UFC bantamweight champion on the newest cover of Ring magazine, which is really just one of the features that she’s done in the past few months. It hails her as the first ever MMA fighter to grace the cover of the “Bible of Boxing” for 93 years.

ronda-rousey-the-ring-100-first-woman-cover-ld

Given the magazine’s focus on boxing, many boxing fans reacted negatively because of the fact that Rousey is not even a boxer (although she is facing boxer-turned-MMA fighter Holly Holm in her next fight). The recently retired pound-for-pound king also took notice—and he didn’t like it, either.

“Well, you know, congratulations, but you know the sport is starting to look bad when a female fighter from a whole other sport is on the cover of a boxing book,” Mayweather said in an interview with FightHype.

This is only the latest word clash between the two, after being at odds with each other since Mayweather suggested that she “didn’t know who he is” when asked about the UFC’s first and only women’s bantamweight champion.

Photo via Ring Magazine

Posted in More Sports, Scoop on AthletesComments (0)

Pacquiao On Mayweather: No Rematch, No Problem

Pacquiao On Mayweather: No Rematch, No Problem

Pacquiao and Mayweather

While the rest of us are itching for a rematch between the two boxing greats, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr., the Filipino champ is not stressing. In fact, he doesn’t mind if he won’t be meeting the American fighter in the ring again.

Pacquiao, who lost to Mayweather during their much-awaited super expensive boxing match in Las Vegas last May, is more focused on retiring.

”Boxing is not my focus because I can only fight next year, to give my shoulder a rest,” Pacquiao told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Pacquiao’s still recovering from his injured right rotator cuff, which he had surgery on after his fight with Mayweather. Right now, the Sarangani congressman is more focusing on building homes for the homeless.

”I’m OK. Whether there is a second (bout with Mayweather), it’s not a problem. I heard he has retired, so it doesn’t matter.”

For his next fight, he said he will take on any other contender, ”because I do not choose my opponents.” He also seemed to throw shade at his opponent by saying that he’d be willing to take any opponent in the future ”because I do not choose my opponents.”

Are you still wishing for a Pacquiao-Mayweather rematch?

Posted in More SportsComments (0)

Celebrities And Athletes React To Mayweather-Pacquiao Fight

Celebrities And Athletes React To Mayweather-Pacquiao Fight

Pacquiao and Mayweather

The fight between Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao vs. Floyd “Money” Mayweather is arguably one of the most watched event in the history of sports, but we can probably say that this fight hasn’t lived up to its own hype. May 2, 2015; the day the earth stood still (for the first 6 rounds) as we all watched a bout between this generation’s “best” fighters.

We can all admit that this is also one of the most expensive pay-per-view fights as it was priced $99.99 per household and another $99.99 to watch the replay. Though the fight had mixed reviews about how it all turned out, we can’t ignore the tweets that celebrities and athletes had on the fight.

Posted in More SportsComments (0)

Mayweather-Pacquiao Fight Called An “Embarrassment” With Contracts Still Unsigned And No Tickets On Sale

Mayweather-Pacquiao Fight Called An “Embarrassment” With Contracts Still Unsigned And No Tickets On Sale

Pacquiao and Mayweather

We thought it might never happen, but we found out in February that the much-awaited fight in the ring between two of the best boxers of this generation, Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao and the undefeated Floyd Mayweather, Jr. will reportedly (and finally) be taking place on May 2 at Las Vegas’ famous MGM Grand.

And for the nth time, it seems we’re almost back where we all started, with all the waiting and wondering whether or not it’s truly a go with these two. Why? We’re down to 10 days before the supposed big fight and the contracts have yet to be signed and tickets aren’t even on sale yet. For real.

Who’s to blame this time? Pacquiao’s promoter, Top Rank, says the ball is on Mayweather’s side—specifically his adviser, Al Haymon.

In a recent interview, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum told Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports that the delay could be so Mayweather’s camp could sell more tickets on the secondary market. Pacquiao’s own adviser, Michael Koncz, seemed to agree with the theory, telling Iole, “This is Haymon and Haymon alone. He is trying to keep us from getting what we’re due in the agreement we signed.” Mayweather Promotions, the lead promoter for the fight, had no comment about the allegations.

Even Oscar De La Hoya, who used to promote Mayweather’s fights, blamed Floyd and his group for the delay.

“This is mind-boggling. This is shocking, but at the same time, we understand what is going on,” De La Hoya added to Iole. “This is the Al factor. This is what you get when you deal with Al.”

De La Hoya even taunted the fighters on Twitter recently by offering a free ticket to the upcoming Canelo Alvarez vs. Kames Kirkland fight to anyone who could send him a photo of their Mayweather-Pacquiao ticket. Of course, we all know that doesn’t exist yet.

A fan amused the boxer by sending a photo of a poorly handwritten ticket, to which De La Hoya responded, “Good one!” but later tweeting, “Sorry but the contest is over and nobody has #MayPac tickets as of today with less than two weeks to go. #FansFirst #wheresmyticket”

It’s clear that everyone thinks the whole thing is incredulous. Even Iole, who is a Hall of Fame boxer himself, called it a “farce” and an “embarrassment.”

“The biggest event in boxing history is rapidly turning into its greatest embarrassment,” Iole wrote. “And that’s saying something considering the long and mostly sordid history of professional boxing.”

ESPN’s Darren Rovell tried to ask Arum about the possibility of the fight not pushing through at all and Arum answered by saying even the governor of Nevada could step in and do whatever he has to do to make the fight happen.

What are your opinions on the issue?

Photos by ImageCollect

Posted in More SportsComments (0)

Bob Arum: Dave Chappelle’s Son “Could Be A Major Boxer”

Bob Arum: Dave Chappelle’s Son “Could Be A Major Boxer”

Bob Arum interview

Comedian Dave Chappelle’s son Sulayman could have a future in boxing, at least according to Manny Pacquiao’s very own promoter, Bob Arum.

Arum’s honorable endorsement comes in the heels of Dave himself telling reporters that he thinks his son has talent. Turns out it wasn’t just a statement made out of favoritism and it’s a good thing that his son has been honing his skills at the Wild Card Boxing Club in Los Angeles, where Pacquiao has been training for many years.

If Sulayman really is “pretty good” as Arum promises, we hope to see him in the ring and under the spotlight very soon!

Check out the video of Arum’s interview about Chappelle’s son below:

Posted in More Sports, Scoop on Athletes, VideosComments (0)

Boxer Dies Less Than Two Days After Losing 10-Round Fight

Boxer Dies Less Than Two Days After Losing 10-Round Fight

Red boxing gloves

Brandon Smith has died in a hospital in Brisbane, Australia just less than two days after losing a 10-round featherweight bout against Filipino boxer John Moralde over the weekend.

The 23-year-old undergraduate of law at the University of Southern Queensland, also known as “The Great White,” had been in an induced coma at the Princess Alexandra hospital since he collapsed 90 minutes after losing the WBC Asian Boxing Council continental title by unanimous points decision. He even praised Moralde and congratulated him before returning to the dressing room.

Family representative, James O’Shea, confirmed the news and added, “[Brandon] really wanted to change the image of boxing.” He added, “A lot of times in this country the sport gets a bad rap. A big goal of his life was to show people it’s not [a bad sport].”

O’Shea said the massive outpouring of support from the local and wider community was a testament to Smith’s upstanding reputation. “So many people looked up to him,” O’Shea added that so many people “looked up to him” for being humble and dedicated, which his fans and the boxing community definitely took notice of.

People have started using the hashtag #prayforbrayd for tweets of devastation and support. He was surrounded by family and his trainer since he was hospitalized.

Photo by whatmattdoes / CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Posted in More Sports, Scoop on AthletesComments (0)

Pacquiao: Mayweather Is “Afraid Of Losing”

Pacquiao: Mayweather Is “Afraid Of Losing”

With the much-awaited fight finally set and both parties are more than willing to beat each other out, the gloves have come off and Manny Pacquiao is finally doing a lot of competitive trash talking!

According to the Filipino boxing star, the reason why the undefeated pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. previously kept on turning down a fight was because the latter was not ready for his first ever loss. Quite optimistic for an underdog, wouldn’t you say?

“He is afraid of losing,” Pacquiao said while he laughed at Stephen A. Smith, a big Mayweather fan, during a video interview with him and Skip Bayless on ESPN’s “First Take.” And he wasn’t done. He added that he was even more worried about his previous fights with De La Hoya and Cotto.

Pacquiao also took jabs at Mayweather using his official Twitter page.

The legendary fighters are expected to meet in the ring on May 2 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Posted in More Sports, Scoop on Athletes, VideosComments (0)

Mayweather And Pacquiao To Meet Only Once Before Fight

Mayweather And Pacquiao To Meet Only Once Before Fight

With the long overdue ring fight between boxing champs Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao finally in the works, people are already back to sounding off regarding their speculated outcomes.

Simply put, all the heated exchanges about this generation’s most sought after fight is pretty much enough promotion for the two. It already speaks for itself, therefore the two won’t be spending much time promoting it before their fight week.

 

Aside from their meeting on March 11 in Los Angeles for a press conference, they won’t have to meet again until the final press conference at the MGM Grand in the days leading up to their May 2 fight.

Meanwhile, both fighters have started gearing up and training for the big event, with Pacquiao at the Wild Card gym in Hollywood and Mayweather in his own Las Vegas gym.

Photos by ImageCollectPacquiao and Mayweather

Posted in More SportsComments (0)

Mayweather FINALLY Said Yes To Pacquiao Fight?

Mayweather FINALLY Said Yes To Pacquiao Fight?

Pacquiao and Mayweather

We thought it was never going to happen, but new sources reveal that the much awaited dream boxing fight is finally on.

The two blockbuster boxing champs have reportedly reached an agreement late this week after countless months of waiting for Mayweather both sides to settle the important deal.

According to the drafted contract that Mayweather and a few negotiators have reportedly yet to sign, they will be squaring off at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas (where else?) this coming May 2nd.

What changed things? Perhaps it was their face-to-face meeting earlier this week at a Miami game that paved the way. It seems we can expect a formal announcement pretty soon.

Fingers crossed!

Photos by: ImageCollect

Posted in More SportsComments (0)

Another Deal On The Table For Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight

Another Deal On The Table For Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight

Pacquiao and Mayweather

Another deal has reportedly been made for the greatly speculated $200 million Pacquiao versus Mayweather blockbuster fight on May 2.

You may remember last week that an Abu Dhabi investment group just took back their $120 million offer for Floyd Mayweather Jr. after refusing to say yes to meeting Manny Pacquiao in the ring. Perhaps the group have gotten impatient with the undefeated American boxer, as have a million other boxing fans and sponsors.

We’re not sure if it will make a difference this time, but the deal entails that Pacquiao will receive $80 million and Mayweather $120 million from the fight (60-40 revenue) and according to Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum, Pacquiao and Mayweather’s “representatives” have agreed to the deal.

As usual, everyone awaits Mayweather’s long overdue decision.

Arum told Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports.

“I’m not trying to force anybody’s hand, I’m just saying, ‘Hey, we’ve agreed to everything, period.’ The people we have talked to on Mayweather’s side have agreed to everything. Now we need Mayweather to step up and say, ‘Yeah, I’m on board. I agree.'”

Do you think he finally ever will?

Photos by: ImageCollect

Posted in More Sports, UncategorizedComments (0)




-->